We're hiring: Research Guide
I. Role Definition
12 COUNTIES ACROSS KENYA; KIAMBU, LAIKIPIA, NYANDARUA, MOMBASA, KILIFI, KWALE, SIAYA, KISUMU, KERICHO, MACHAKOS, MAKUENI, KITUI.
II. About Us
Book Bunk is a social impact firm working in Partnership with the Nairobi City Council to restore, renovate, and create programming for the McMillan Memorial Library in the CBD and its subsidiary branches in Kaloleni and Makadara. We imagine that libraries can become more than repositories, seeing them as heritage sites from where public memory, public discourse and cultural engagement begin.
A large part of our restoration work involves carrying out groundwork research prior to launching further projects. Our library ecosystem research project seeks to understand the current state of Kenyan libraries and their collections by gathering data on the history, architecture, patronage and collection content of each one. Furthermore, we hope that mapping libraries across Kenya helps to begin to create a symbiotic network that can create future partnerships and even inform national policy around public libraries and their resourcing.
III. Job Description
Book Bunk is looking to work with a local guide to map the public libraries shortlisted for the fieldwork. This person will be responsible for travelling to the research sites, identifying their physical location and creating a route map of the most efficient routes to get to the library. Once this is complete and submitted, they will accompany the researchers to show the exact location of identified libraries. They will also report back this route map to the lead researcher at least one week before the fieldwork as well as check in with the research lead regularly.
Function & Responsibilities
- Create a route map itinerary of the shortest and most efficient route to the research sites to be visited. This must be submitted one week before the research team arrives for fieldwork.
- Support the booking of transport services and accommodation for the research team
- Act as language mediator/interpreter should the need arise.
- Report back to the lead researcher assigned to you daily.
- Assist to identify any libraries that the research team may have omitted from their pre- fieldwork research.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Proper time management skills. (Book Bunk has a strict policy on punctuality)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Have an active smartphone.
- An interest in public libraries /related public spaces and their value
- Experience in sales, customer service or any service related industry is beneficial.
- Knowledge of the local language is a bonus!
- Be a resident of the county in which the fieldwork is taking place
Qualifications, Certification & Training
- Be a holder of a diploma or degree from a recognized institution of higher learning.
V. Working Relationships
Researchers, Local community
VI. Additional Terms of Work
- This is a 10 day engagement – week 1 – route mapping
- week 2 – research
- Selected candidates will be required to present a valid certificate of Good Conduct, proof of application or a recommendation letter from a previous employer.